Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spring Cleaning, The Food Chain and Coyotes interest

I'm going to try to type fast as thoughts flow from my mind here...

My son is wearing a Red Sox jersey today...makes me happy. I only hope that there is Football this year so I can condition him to like the Dolphins. But why? Maybe I should just give him hints on better teams to like? We'll see...so, Friday I left my little job more burned out than I have ever been. Just can't "win"...maybe it's time for a change?

Did watch Social Network the other night and it was pretty awesome. The connected-ness of everything in our time is amazing to think about. I think about how things will be in even 5 years...no, how will they be in even ONE year??? Time and technology are moving at light speed, hopefully we all remember that human interaction is cool too.

Yesterday me and my friend Andy were reminded of our position on the food chain while hiking around Catamount. Spur of the moment decision to embark on the hike and it was the right one. We were headed to Tully's for beers but decided that a Mountain lake area for beers was better. I'll tell you, I was amazed at the kid's skill in actually driving his truck up very thin, snow-covered trails complete with mud and hairpin turns. No joke. It didn't look passable at times but was entertaining as hell to be on that ride -4 wheeling is something I don't get to do much of. Anyway, we're up there having a couple beers, his dog is running all over the place and we hear the sound of a "dog" in the distance. The echo around this mountain lake is incredible so it's tough to pinpoint exactly where a sound may be coming from. Soon we hear the sound of many dogs coming from what we determine is a different area, back near where the truck is parked. Andy informs me that it could be coyotes. Shit. To find yourself literally planning what you will do against a potential attack from a pack of these animals is pretty eye opening. You realize that, you're in their domain and their intention is to sustain their life, maybe that involves trying to eat you? At that point, you realize your position in the food chain. The sunlight was beginning to dwindle, it had gotten colder out, we're hearing these sounds in the distance seeming to get closer and have a decent hike back to the truck ahead of us. Thankfully we get back to the truck without incident, pack the gear and drive down the mountain trail. I was impressed again by Andy's driving skill through these trails. Andy grew up with all this, outdoors, trails...shit, anything outdoor. It's nothing to him but to an "outsider" it's pretty uncanny. Anyway, I chose the hike over the town and it was the right choice, coyotes and all. I'm in need of some real mental/spiritual "house cleaning" and the outdoors are going to be a big part of that this year...just something about the "reality" of it. You just feel your place in the world in the outdoors. Pretense, attitudes and other bullshit go away out there.

Anyway, I have a few days off to play with and I'm cleaning shit out, at home, in music, in life and mind. I'll see where I end up when I'm through it. These days I seem to have forgotten my "next step" and, it's about time.

~ZFJ

No comments: