Monday, February 13, 2012

Give. Take...take.

SO.

Yeah....this evening I was able to complete a refreshing and invigorating yoga session to the Braveheart movie soundtrack. That's right. During the flowing yoga session, I reflected on a conversation I had moments ago, before the yoga.

I was in jest with a friend of mine who will go unnamed. We were joking around, or at least I thought we were joking, about fun stuff bands do. In particular, a band he is currently a member of. I sincerely think what they're doing is cool and a good time; while being musically entertaining as well. Either way at the completion of the conversation, or, what I thought was the completion of the conversation, he says, "See, I don't view music as a competition."

OK.

It, whether admitted to or not, was directed at me. Context my friends, ...context. It was delivered in a way as to suggest he had A) Recently thought up the concept; the words themselves; the intended target(s). Or B) Someone had recently told that to him and he internalized it. ..It kinda put me back on my heels due to the way it was verbalized, so I said something along the lines of "no shit....I know it's not a competition....wait, are you saying that....etc???" So, basically there was a moment of how-did-this-come-from-out-of-that conversation-??-type of thoughts and responses. From there, he seemed to "buy" my retort and he proceeded to switch gears to someone else that he feels may in fact, be "competing" in music, rather than creating art to the best of their desire and abilities. Someone else who happens to be involved in making music with me....So, it's pretty clear to good ole ZFJ that my good friend's viewpoints about people "competing" in music, had at one point or another landed on my character. Me?? My good friend, who by the way is an excellent musician, was on a pedestal with this viewpoint. Or at least it was delivered that way. Unintentionally, or intentionally.

Not to have my narcissistic personality slighted, I will now go on a bit of a pedestal with my viewpoints. I'll keep it short....no, it'll probably end up long-winded....just skip whole parts if you get tired.

Anyway, I have written a lot of music. I've been able to perform it mostly on my/our terms along the way. I am also blessed to know, have known and to write and play with many great musicians. I have the fulfillment derived from releasing a number of albums I've been part of; Being on other musicians' releases; Memories I helped create...shit, the hard work is and was worth it.....and, that music I helped to create, that I believe in such much....I always want to share it. And I've been able to share it with thousands of people so far. Admittedly, I have graced the lunatic side with regards to promoting my music in the past. Why, numerous times I've sold over a hundred tickets by myself to events I've been part of! Yes readers, that is boasting about lunatic-side promotional efforts. It sucks to harass your friends, families and fans to come out to your show, ten times; a hundred times. I understand this....Point is, if I believe in it, I just want to give it more ,in ways I can give to it....you know?

But I digress....I've been wrapped up with thoughts today, about some things I've experienced since I started doing the booking/promotions at The Elevens (http://musicattheelevens.blogspot.com) See?!? Right there! That's why I get a bad rap. Just. Can't. Help. The...shameless... promotion. Anyway. About the thoughts about things I've been privy to. The thoughts involve some alarmingly consistent patterns, from similar contexts, involving would-be book-ees as well as acts that have been on some show bills.

Now, without further ado, here's the burning topics consuming my brain, from the musical competition portion of my life.

1) Why do out of town bands coming on tours to our area, with minimal credibility, and status-quo music, always ask for sizeable guarantees (a set amount for the performance)?

So I ask back what they can guarantee in draw (people through the door)? They usually get A) Mad. B) Really informative as to why they should get what they want with no idea of who may show up to see them. C) Back way down on their requirements, realizing that the venue is willing to host them, if it's makes sense. So, why can't it make sense for the venue in the first place? Why all the haggling?? If you can, by whatever means, create an event that will do well for you and the venue hosting your event, everybody wins.

Anyway.

2) Why do talented local musical acts, with fresh ideas, sometimes have next to no fans in the room? Lot's of times, actually.


Example: 5 local bands on a bill. Looks promising. They have 35 people in the room. 20 of them are legitimately in the bands, and getting a couple drink tickets each. Again, they had like 15 people there who were not performing. This has nothing to do with their music or them as people. But, well...let's add it up. Let's say the 20 band members individually get 4 friends out to the show. That means there are 80 people in the room. 100 people when you add in the members of the band. At our venue, that would be a very solid draw and would most likely be an exciting environment to perform in. Seems almost amazing that this doesn't happen.

And don't tell me you have less fun when 99 of your friends are reveling in your music with you pal.

Simply, 4 friends come to join in the live performance of music, written and performed to perfection, by their friends. Why not?

So, ...why not?

Why do people get bent out of shape if a show doesn't get booked, or an existing show has to stop because it doesn't do well?? Why can't the venue, who is hosting the event, and therefore incurring operating expenses, be allowed to recoup those expenses?? (more evidence of how I may be "competing" in music --not even pointing that comment at my friend. Ok. Yes I was.) What if the venue was even open to try and make a slight profit while hosting quality entertainment (quality is a relative term)?? Are we getting into the big-mean-corporation angles here? No. We're not. Why can't some people find 4 people to entertain with their music but other people can find hundreds?

Because some people are willing to see both sides of the equation, and they attempt to have it make sense, for everyone. That's why. That's the way to do it folks. In anything you do in your life actually. To see both sides of the equation requires you to get over yourself, put yourself in the other person's shoes, and be objective when you're forming your decisions. But you have to get over yourself first!

Still, the vast majority of people who light up our stage are class acts, fortunately.

Ok. There we go...it had been too long since I spewed out some motivational-speaking-esq drivel about music related stuff. People are so fucking judgemental about things.


~ZFJ

2 comments:

jf said...

No matter what happens: just keep at it. When i played live at various dubious locations and even helped set up the rinky dink shows back in the day, we were just happy of the experience...even if the room was empty. I realize that you are promoting for a club BUT you can't expect to pack them in every night. I'd just try to take what i could from each experience if i were you.

HAHA: the word verification for this comment was: 'ststabag.'

Zero Fun John said...

Yeah, I know...I enjoy it all. And I'm only talking about is effort. It should always be about the experience....just still wondering why aforementioned out-of-town bands ask for $200, $300 and even $700 for a 45 minute set?

~ZFJ